2:23 PM | Author: Siva
David Boon was his inspiration. Kris chikka the next one. He started being extra nice to chitra akka. Theirs was the only household with a TV. To get that coveted seat near the TV he even lent his imported chithappa-given video game for an hour. It is solar powered. Besides, I have the highest score in it, he thought. The seat was reserved after lunch too.

Then came the real thing. Trying all you saw in TV. It started with the rubber ball. The game was way too easy. It was a batsman's game. But the ball didn't last long. Especially when it was wet. Which it was mostly, due to the hits to the open 'ditch', and subsequent left-hand-picked washes. Then came the rubber cork ball. Cricket still was a batsman's game. The ball came to the bat nicely. Even a good length ball was quite playable. He tried chikka's mammutti shot and ravi shastri's front foot kattai. Everything worked. He wanted to graduate to the big league. He didn't know what was waiting for him.

There was this commie-red wicky cork ball. Wickedly shining. With golden logos on both sides. Use of that was strictly banned on streets since he played a lofted shot that hit the sarbat guy. He settled with the team that played in the rice mill. There he lost it. There was too much bounce on the cement floor. The hand eye coordination suddenly wasn't good enough. Even the half volleys had a lot of pace. Going back foot was inviting danger of getting hit by the missed ball bouncing back from the 10-ft wall. Forget form, even class seemed temproary. Above all there was this Durai, using any small crack to generate extra bounce and mixing it with a yorker. Innings after innings, he will have to face Durai. He tried a mighty heave once which connected well for a boundary. The next ball was a nasty bouncer that broke his 'chilli mooku'. He declared cricket as a violent game and sportsmanship was missing. He settled to watch the game with chitra akka and started writing cricket commentary for the school's times.
Category: , , |
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 comments:

On 12:07 AM , Sankar said...

Is this you in the blog, Shiva?

 
On 10:12 AM , Siva said...

No, that is not me, sankar. But not all of it is fiction.

 
On 3:05 AM , Seenivasan said...

Cricket....Sports-la enakku pidikkadha varthai.


I hate whenever there is a cricket season. Whereever I go group of people would be talking about cricket. "did see how he scored that brilliant 2 runs, on that 3-rd ball of 5th over"....I just hate it.

Now it is that time again. Couple of days ago during my lunch time the discussion came up about cricket. They were even discussing about Gavaskar. my gosh.
What did I do?!
I was just nodding all the way thru the discussion.
At the end of my lunch session, my friend Jack who knew that I dont enjoy cricket asked me sarcastically "looks like you had a great lunch today?".

Siva - sorry that I didn't read your post completely. I just read a few lines only. You know me & my interest in cricket.

Few months back I played cricket with my colleagues. I broke my leg. I think cricket also doesn't like me.

 
On 9:43 AM , Siva said...

dei posta padikkamaye comment ezhuthiriye ? unn talent yarukkum varathu ..

 
On 12:06 PM , Seenivasan said...

nangallam verum poster-a mattumey parthu full padathoda story solravaingyada....!!!

 
On 12:43 PM , Sarangan said...

Naangallam Sixer Adichaalum Kiiti Pullathan Sixer Adippom

 
On 1:50 PM , Siva said...

kittipul ... How did I miss it ? Adutha post kittipul pathi than :-)